PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A GRAMMAR FREE ZONE!

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

What? Its not a baby?

We are adopting an older child, a 13 year old child to be exact, and what I want to know is - why is this an issue.  The main issue I have is that there is a total lack of support for this type of adoption.  Take announcements for example.  When you have a baby or even adopt a baby , there are numerous places where you can get birth or adoption announcements.  I was excited when I heard this thinking I would be able to get some for when we finalize our adoption.  Wrong.  I checked into numerous websites that advertised adoption announcements.  What they should have advertised was adoption announcements for children under the age of 5.  I'm not sure how my new daughter would feel about adoption announcements with duckies or booties or a stroller on them but that's what they've got.  I guess I'm on my own to figure out how to share our big news when the finalization date comes.  Even some friends and family are a little lacking in their enthusiasm.  I don't know if they are worried we will be getting "damaged merchandise" or what but it would be nice to feel the warm fuzzies I know I would feel if it were a baby we were having or adopting.  Another example would be the shower factor.  While I understand a baby comes with a need for many specialized things, teenagers don't exactly come with their own set of everything they need.  We will need sheets, blankets, etc. to provide a nice place for our new teen to live.  Everything we already have is basically in sets of three.  We will have to get more bath towels, more pillows, and even things the child may be lacking like more clothes.  Seeing as she will be coming from a different state, she will most likely need some climate appropriate clothes.  And I'm not just looking for someone else to foot the bill.  We have purchased a new bed and a new dresser and numerous other things already.  Just the idea of a party to introduce the new child to the family/community would be a welcome idea.  I don't know maybe I'm overthinking this but when you have a baby or adopt a baby there are a dozen people waiting to throw you a shower.  Nobody says a peep about throwing a shower for an older child.  Nobody is chomping at the bit to throw a welcome party.  We will be having a party but it will be us having the party.  But as usual, we will find a way.  We will find a way to make this family addition as celebratory as possible.  But we will most likely be doing it on our own.  Why am I surprised?  This just falls in line with so many other things in life for me.  I just have to take the bull by the horns and as Tim Gunn would say "make it work."

2 comments:

  1. You know, this sure sounds like the beginning of a new online business!! Start creating adoption announcements, TEEN style! Once you figure out what you want & how you're going to do it, put your creative talents & blogging abilities to work, and share it! If you're thinking this, then others are, as well!

    Sadly, you are right, tho - newborn, toddler, etc., and everyone delights in the "new" addition. Older kids, and the excitement just doesn't seem as far-reaching.

    No worries from our end, tho -- we are THRILLED and can't wait for things to finalize and we can see pics of & meet our new niece!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be more than happy to help with a "teen child shower." I even have a cricut and some creativity to help make invitations. I think the idea is something really special, and I am sure the girl will love it. Seriously, I think it is awesome. The only downside to all of this is that I am in that stupid upper state until May 1st. So anytime after that, I can help with planning/creating/doing anything. :)

    ReplyDelete