PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A GRAMMAR FREE ZONE!

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Let's Do Lunch

Lunch is such a difficult meal.  Its shoved there in the middle of the day and isn't really designated any importance.  Compared to breakfast, the most important meal of the day, and dinner, the main meal of the day, what is there left to define lunch.  Nothing.  Poor lunch.  It has to be packed up in a sack or prepared in a cafeteria.  There is little hope for it.  I sit here now eating lunch - a cucumber and white cheddar sandwich on a bagel - a holdover from my days spent living in England.  It is yummy but like most lunches I end up with it is the only thing we pretty much had in the kitchen that wasn't breakfast or dinner worthy.  I often times skip breakfast when I am home just so that I can eat breakfast for lunch and make it a bit more exciting.  Breakfast is much more interesting.  You have your hot foods - eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, pancakes, even oatmeal - and then there's the always favorite standby cereal with choices ranging from fiber infused flakes to sugar loaded stars and moons.  Not to mention all of the continental breakfast items.  Dinner is a family staple - meat and potato combos or ethnic cuisine.  Dinner is where we all get together and share what has happened during the day.  Lunch is usually eaten at someone's desk or in the car while on the run.  It is an afterthought - thrown together in the morning or eaten out within ridiculous time restrictions while being accompanied by a side of guilt for spending the money on something you could have brought from home.  Either way, lunch is difficult.  It is the middle child of the meal world.  Overlooked and forgotten.  I wish I could come up with a way to save this long lost dining experience.  A way to make it better but I can't.  I struggle with what to eat for lunch nearly every day.  And now my cucumber and cheese sandwich is done.  That was it.  A cucumber and cheese sandwich.  No chips.  No side items.  Just a lonely cucumber and cheese sandwich.  I think I'm actually still hungry.  Thank goodness dinner is early tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Move to Spain, its THE main meal there. They even get a few hours off of work to have lunch and then take a nap after. I loved it while I was there.

    ReplyDelete