PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A GRAMMAR FREE ZONE!

Monday, February 21, 2011

S.O.S.

So I have to clean my house.  Get rid of the clutter.  Well, at least most of the clutter.  See we have to make a video for front-runner to see when they tell her they have chosen us as a family for her.  (Please note the positive outlook.)  I have no idea what to put on this video.  Hubby and I went out and bought a new video camera.  Our old one still used tape.  So we went to Best Buy, which is an evil store, and an hour later we were the owners of a brand new digital video camera with optical zoom.  We left confused slightly as we usually do from Best Buy.  They are a good store but the sales people are amazing.  They can convince us to buy just about anything.  Not that its difficult.  I am a total shop-a-holic and Hubby is like a kid in a candy store when we go there.  But we always leave the store a couple hundred dollars poorer than when we entered and we're not sure how it happens.  But that's besides the point, the point here is we have the camera.  Now we just need to declutter the background and shoot the video.  I don't want to clean too much because I want to portray our home as it typically is.  Or more accurately as I would typically prefer it to be.  But even once we declutter, what are we supposed to put on this video.  I want to be truthful and informative but I don't want to scare her.  I want to make it funny but I don't want her to think we are total dorks.  I want her to like it and want to come and live with us except I have limited information about her and what she likes.  So I have nothing to relate things to.  Makes the process kind of difficult.  I try to come up with ideas of what to include and how to present it.  But I'm just not sure what to do.  So I am asking you.  Some of you know me.  Some of you even know hubby and our daughter.  If you know us well, what about us should we share and how should we share it?  If you don't know us well, what would you like to know about us?  What would you ask if you had the chance?  All I know is that I am at a loss and I need your help.  Pretty, pretty please.  If you comment, please do not use our real names.  I like our anonymity :) 
Thanks in advance my peeps!

4 comments:

  1. Another 'EEEK' moment. All I can say is be yourselves, smile lots and relax. It may take a few attempts at shooting the video but it will be worth it. Describe the area a little, what fun things there are to do, tell her about day-to-day things, not just how you celebrate holidays. There's no point in over-egging the pud because she'll soon find out that's not real won't she. So, don't wear your absolute sunday best, but also, don't wear your pj's; smile and relax, try to have a few candid, ad-libbed moments - ribbing each other and the like; Don't get drunk beforehand either, I hear that's frowned upon ;p ; Make a list of the things you'd like to hear yourself. Ask your daughter what she would hope to hear if she was in this girl's shoes, that could give you some good pointers.

    Finger's crossed, this is a really positive turn. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Miss Muffet. Try a few different shoots and you can always edit. Be fun. maybe talk about some of your own interests - all of you. She will decide what you have in common. Maybe your daughter can tell a little about what it was like growing up with you without being too "Ha-ha-I-had-a-great-childhood-and-you-didn't". Does the video have to be done entirely at home? Maybe have someone follow you around with the camera for a day?

    Just be yourselves. She can't help but love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I would start out by showing all of yourselves, introducing yourself, telling about yourself, if there is a particular part of the house that each of you spends more time in, then film your section in that area, such as if you like to bake, film your section in the kitchen and tell what you like to cook,etc. I would give a brief tour, show where she'd be sleeping/living, the neighborhood, possibly the school she'd be attending, if you can get any neighbors on the film who are aware of what you are doing then ask them to talk about welcoming her/him into all of your lives. Introduce pets, etc. I say just be yourself and film what you'd want to know about if you were possibly coming to live there. :) Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what Debra says! 2nd the comments here!

    ReplyDelete