PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A GRAMMAR FREE ZONE!

Monday, June 27, 2011

Reality: The Great Wake-up Call

The other day my Grandma fell and broke three ribs.  A horrible thing for anyone but especially horrible to a lady in her eighties.  She is quite bruised up from what I understand.  But she is one stubborn Polish chick.  She fell at about 3 am and didn't tell anyone until 10 am.  Seven whole hours she sat there in pain!  Now I know where I get my stubborn streak from.  But this latest fall got me to thinking about just how fragile life is and with that thought came the wonderful "cloud of depression" settling over me.  I kind of think this time it is descending over the entire family.  We have watched as a family as those elderly pillars of strength have become weaker and weaker but there was always a sense of "they've always been there and always will be".  They have beat the odds numerous time, but now I think we are facing the fact that there is no way "always being there" is possible.  Things need looked at in the light of reality and not through rose-colored glasses.  While they cherish their independence is it indeed in their best interest.  I hope these subjects are being broached by those with more authority than me.  I am but a mere grandchild and would quickly be given the evil eye if I were to bring it up to the family.  Plus I am not there - geographically.  So I sit here and brood because I am so far away that I hardly ever get to see them anymore.  Its a fact that I can't really help but it stills hurts.  My visits have always been marked with the passing notion of "I wonder when I'll see everyone again".  Now, that will be followed by "if I ever see them again".  My own mortality is settling around me and making me solemn.  Everyone that we have in our lives is a gift.  Every moment we have in our lives is a joy.  Make the most of it.  Write a letter, make a phone call, go for a visit, but let those you love know that you love them.  You don't know when that moment may slip right out of your hands.

2 comments:

  1. Well, you guys know that we love you dearly.

    In my own way, I know what you mean by the pillars of strength - especially when one of those pillars is your own father-in-law. Since Michael's dad has moved in with us, it's hard to watch him be so sad & sick. You are right - every day is precious. Embrace it to the fullest.

    Hope your grandma is doing alright & taking it easy.

    Much love to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember, God doesn't want us to be sad. He wants us to enjoy and use everything he has given us.When the reality sets in(like it does for all of us at some point) It's ok to contomplate it for awhile. We all need to realize life really does go on without us. But God has offered us a far better place, where we can live without worry or pain. That must be a wonderful place. Not now, but in the future, I am really looking forward to going there.(NO WORRY!)

    ReplyDelete