PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A GRAMMAR FREE ZONE!

Friday, June 24, 2011

This is the Story of a Girl who Cried a River and Drowned the Whole World

Today was one of the hardest days of my entire life.  See Monday, the social worker in Far Away was supposed to tell Frontrunner that we would not be adopting her.  Wednesday she still didn't know.  Thursday she still didn't know.  Today when she was chatting with me on the computer, she still didn't know.  I felt like I was lying by omission.  It sucked.  I had not idea when the social worker was actually going to tell her and I thought it cruel not to so I told her.  It was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do in my life.  I spent the entire time blubbering and sobbing.  Our decision was multi-faceted but the main reason were her family ties.  Her family ties were from our point of view much stronger than we were led to believe.  Not that we wouldn’t allow a child to have any family bonds, its just that we didn’t feel right moving her over a thousand miles away from those family ties.  We don’t feel that the adjustment to a new community and school that is tremendously larger than the community and school she currently is a part of was going to go smoothly at all.  She would miss out on the personal attention that she receives in that environment.  She also had a ton of freedom and control in her current situation.  Freedom and control she would have lost by coming to live with us and our rules.  It would have felt like a prison.  It was a heart-wrenching decision but we felt it was in her best interest.  I reassured her that we love her and we really do.  I will always love her.  I am just afraid that she hates me.  Hates us.  I still want to be there for her as a support in her life but fear she will shut us out completely.  I am grieving this loss and have no interest in looking for another child to adopt.  I feel like a mean, heartless monster.  I just hope some day she can forgive me.  Great, I’m crying again.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Sweetie, you are not heartless, you did what was best all round. Shame on the social worker for letting this hang, she should be disciplined for that! You were s brave to take the bull by the horns, I don't know if I could've done that. When Frontrunner has had time to digest it all she will understand. It may take a while though, so keep the lines of communication open and she will come back. Perhaps you were only ever meant to be a fun 'aunt'? Hugs hun, I know how hard this is for you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending huge hugs. You did an amazing thing by taking on that responsibility - sometimes the greatest love comes through when we let go

    ReplyDelete