PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A GRAMMAR FREE ZONE!

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

School Daze

I got an interesting friend request today on facebook.  It was from a girl that I went to high school with.  How she found me I have no idea.  I don't have my high school listed on my profile and nowhere on my profile does it even give my maiden name.  She doesn't know my family.  I thought I was incognito enough to avoid being found - but no.  She won the prize because she tracked me down.  The friend request was nice and polite, making sure it was indeed me.  I hesitated for some time and thought about whether or not to click confirm.  I also got a message from her saying the same thing as the friend request.  I thought "Wow.  She's really happy that she found me."  I got awash with the nostalgic warm fuzzies and allowed my mouse to hover over confirm and then . . . click . . . and I was immediately invited to my twenty year high school reunion.  What the hell?  But there is no putting the toothpaste back in the tube.  The can was open and the worms were all over the floor.  The room was spinning a little and those warm fuzzies were now creeping in the corners of my eyes with shades of blackness.  Now, not only did this girl track me down but she shared me with everyone else in the class of '91.  Great.  Just what I wanted.  High school was rough for me.  I didn't enjoy it and I don't care to relive it in any way shape or form.  This includes a reunion.  Sure, let's just gather together all of the people who didn't like me in a bar and talk at length about the names they used to call me.  Or better yet, let's recreate the late 80's/early 90's and have me pay $30 to sit at a table all by myself with nobody to talk to.  Yeah, that'll be fun.  Sounds like a blast.  Hello.  People.  There's a reason I didn't maintain contact with you and you had no desire to maintain contact with me.  We weren't friends.  We were classmates.  There is a BIG difference there.  At least in my book there is.  Sure there are one or two people I would love to see but those people know who they are.  They were at my wedding.  They have met my daughter.  They were NICE to me way back when.  We may have lost contact but those people will always be in my heart.  Its unfortunate that high school was so hellish that I have to miss out on seeing those few people I want to see due to the risk of renewed rejection from all the rest.  So to the happy, popular kids, have fun reliving your glory days.  Too bad they are over.  To the few people I wish to see again, if you ever read this you will know who you are and can reunite with me if you'd like.  No pressure.  And to myself, kudos to you for leaving that part of life behind you and moving on.  I may never click "confirm" again in my life.

2 comments:

  1. you can decline the inivatation to the reunion, and also unfriend the person who friended you. really. if your feelings were hurt so much all those years ago, you genuninely do not have to worry about hurting the feelings of a full grown adult who stalked you....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt like that about my classmates for a long time but I don't know what happened - if it was because I turned 40 last year! - but suddenly I am the one trying to organize our class reunion for next summer! I surprised myself with that!! There were only 16 of us thought in my small town class but I still get what you are saying in this post.

    ReplyDelete