PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A GRAMMAR FREE ZONE!

Thursday, February 17, 2011

My Ovaries, My Business

So it finally came up.  The dreaded question that I knew would be lurking in the back of everyone's mind when we decided to adopt: "Can they not have any more children?"  First of all, bad enough question.  Second of all, it came from my mother.  She was "only asking because someone else had asked her", but secondhand or not, its still an invasive question.  I guess I just see this as a personal area that nobody should have any right to ask.  I guess I figured my mother would understand that without me having to actually verbalize it.  I guessed wrong.  This is one stereotype that needs to be done away with.  Just because someone decides to adopt doesn't mean there must be something wrong.  For those who are infertile, adoption is a wonderful option, but just like not all infertile couples choose to adopt, not all adoptive couples are infertile.  Adoption is a choice.  Not a last resort.  I have been, as far as I know, perfectly able to have another baby.  I mean, heck, it only took like a month or two to conceive the first one after we got married.  (Yes, I do see most people do the math in their head when they hear how close to our wedding our daughter came into the picture.)  We could have had a whole brood had we chose to.  We could have been our very own family Von Trap.  But we chose not to.  We chose to focus our energy and attention on our one.  Once she was off bottles, we didn't want to go there again.  Once she was out of diapers, we didn't want to go there again.  Once she was out of daycare, we didn't want to go there again.  I could really go on and on.  The point here is we chose to have an only child and now we are choosing to add another child.  Now that our daughter is older and understands that parents can share their love and attention, we want to share that love and attention with someone who really needs it.  Do we want to start over again with an infant?  No.  Besides, there is part of me that would feel bringing another child into this world would be a selfish thing to do.  We have one that is a product of Hubby and me.  Why not use this opportunity to give to someone who doesn't have?  Why would I create another mini-me when there are children out there without parents?  Not saying that people with more than one boilogical child are making the wrong choice, I'm just saying it is a CHOICE.  A personal choice to say the least.  This is something you really have to feel called to do and we feel that calling.  We feel it is our responsibility to make the world a better place for someone who has known pain and anguish.  To bring love where there may have been none before.  It is not an easy thing to do - emotionally, spiritually, mentally and literally.  But it is a choice we have made.  A choice.  Not a last resort.  So if you know someone who is adopting, please, no matter how hard it is, no matter how curious you may be, don't ask if they can't have any children of their own.  Take care of your own business and not other people's.

3 comments:

  1. You know what's funny? It never even occurred to me to ask you that. =) I applaud your decision to adopt! (And as a Girl Scout, I love that you used the phrase "make the world a better place". tee hee)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love people like you! You go with choices that fit YOU and YOUR LIFE instead of what mainstream thinks you should do. Kudos to you!

    I have found the reverse comments true when you get spayed at an "early-ish" age, as I did just before my 40th birthday. Strangers, friends, family - all wanted to know WHY I was eliminating my chance to ever have another child. Was it just to end my cycles (as we all know how wonderful those are, and mine lasted 21 days or more)?

    My CHOICE, in cooperation with my doctors, was to remove any and all trace of reproductive items inside of me. I do not want more children. I could have been happy being a non-parent as I was being a parent of one child. But still, there is a level of guilt I felt every time they asked the question, as if I was letting down the world by not creating more mini-me's....

    Thank you for validating that it IS a CHOICE for each individual.

    CC

    ReplyDelete