PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A GRAMMAR FREE ZONE!

Friday, January 28, 2011

He's My "Ken"

So, today I get a call from Hubby just before lunch.  A co-worker/buddy of his has passed a major licensing test and they are going out to celebrate after work.  Ok.  I'm fine with that.  The catch to this one - they want me to come along.  Hubby says I will not be the only one.  His work-wife's real-life husband and son will be there and so-and-so is calling her husband to come.  Great.  What am I supposed to say?  Its not that I'm not happy for co-worker/buddy.  I am.  I just have enough trouble with social situations involving people I know and have things in common with.  He pointed out that our daughter has an after-school activity so we won't be leaving her home and lonely.  There goes my excuse.  I'm going to go to this thing and not know what to say to anyone.  I will sit quietly at Hubby's side and let him be the social one since it is his function.  The trouble there is Hubby isn't exactly Mr. Social Butterfly.  Maybe it will be different since he is comfortable around these people.  Maybe he will prove me wrong and be a Chatty Kathy all evening.  I really considered saying no when he asked if I'd come but what kind of wife would I be if I didn't support him in his supporting others?  So, I'll go.  I'll have a soda since its a pub and I don't drink (neither does Hubby).  I will smile.  I will laugh when appropriate.  I will speak when spoken to.  I will be "Wife Barbie".  I will be a non-blonde, non-sexy, non-skinny trophy wife - there for no purpose aside from  . . . well . . . I would say looking cute but . . . I've seen me.  But I will remember that he loves me and would do the same for me.  So this is what they mean by "wifely duties".  I always thought that was just sex.  This is much more difficult.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my! I hope this went well...
    I know the feeling, it is not a good one! I am a very social person, love chatting and stuff, but not so good when I don't know the persons well... And I hate the work-social-things like this you had to participate in..
    I hope you had a great night anyway!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have the same situation coming up. The dreaded Super Bowl Party. I loathe football. But I'm guilted into going. Other than my better half, I know only one person who will be there: the host, and not very well. This is going to be a painful ordeal for me. Hmmm... maybe I can work it to my advantage... I think it's time for some back-scratching.

    ReplyDelete