PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A GRAMMAR FREE ZONE!

Saturday, January 15, 2011

If You're Friends and You Know it Say "Hello"

Friendships are work.  For those of us with social anxiety this is especially true.  I have learned over the years that if I want to remain friends with someone that I no longer see on a regular basis, it takes effort.  Someone has to call or email or suggest you do lunch or something.  Social networking sites like facebook have made this task easier but because of this new fangled way of keeping in touch, I am having trouble with a new group of people in my life - the silent friends.  You have to know what I am talking about.  They are those people that you once knew and were great friends with but for one reason or another you no longer see each other.  They are your friend on facebook but you never ever here from them.  They don't comment on anything.  They don't message you about anything.  They don't even respond to postings that you have made on their profiles.  Facebook is a great tool, but it can also help you to feel like crap.  You can see that the person is on the site.  They are posting pictures or something of that nature but yet they don't respond to your "hello".  But they keep you on their friend list.  Why?  I don't know.  If they don't want to be friends with you then why remain "friends" with you?  It makes no sense.  Don't they know they are doing the virtual equivalent of ignoring you.  You're right there and yet you are not worth responding to.  Nice.  Maybe its just me.  Maybe everyone else is having a great time with all of their friends on facebook all the time but I can't help think that there are others out there who find this lack of interaction depressing.  Every time I cut folks from my friend list, I look at these particular people and don't know why I can't hit delete but I don't.  I guess I'm just a glutton  for punishment.  Maybe I expect too much but it really annoys me.  Should I be taking this one-sided relationship as a huge hint that they no longer are interested in being friends.  So, as an effort to resolve this dilemma, I encourage you all to go through your friend list and either delete people or post something on their wall.  You should be able to do one or the other.  If you keep them, post a greeting or send a message.  You never know.  You may really brighten someones day.  As the saying goes, "To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world."

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED this blog. I have felt the same exact feelings and wonderings. Thank you for taking the time to write out how I'm sure many of us have felt. Like any relationship, friendships take work, from all parties involved. As human beings we like to KNOW that we matter to someone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had this conversation at our lunch. :-)

    ReplyDelete