PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A GRAMMAR FREE ZONE!

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Sex Education: The Musical Version

***Warning:  This blog contains some material that may not be suitable for younger readers.***
So I thought I was doing something nice and I bought tickets for my family to go see a show at City Playhouse.  City is close, only about 15 minutes away, and the show, "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee", sounded cute and endearing.  I had a "coupon" for an outing of my choice that I had won during our Christmas Eve Wii Tournament.  So I decided to cash it in.  I went online and bought the tickets.  Two adults and one student.  $42.  Not too bad.  Then the next day I noticed on the facebook event page that if you click to "see more" and scroll down there is the following message:  "**WARNING** Parents, be wary of bringing children. Vulgar language and dirty humor run this show. Really, I mean it. If you don't want to be holding your child's ears the whole performance, don't spend the money to buy them a ticket! Have a nice day :)"  Nice of them to put this front and center so everyone could see before they bought their tickets.  When I went to the City Playhouse site to purchase my tickets, there was no warning.  There was a synopsis of the show that made it sound nice and wholesome but no warning.  I messaged one of the cast members (who had messaged those attending) asking about the level of language and dirty humor and was told to find the show on Youtube and watch the musical numbers.  I did this and well, there is a whole number dedicated to an erection.  That's right I said an erection.  I was livid.  Now my daughter is older and has probably heard worse things on the school bus but its the principle of the thing.  If I am going to purchase your product and you are not going to offer any refunds, there should be some warning posted somewhere on your site.  The only place where this warning was was on the facebook event page and even then you had to click to "see more" and scroll down.  The warning should pop up on the City Playhouse site BEFORE you buy the tickets.  So now I am out $42.  I don't want to take my daughter to see this show because I'm not sure if the erection song is the worst of the show's humor or the best of it.  I am attempting to have the box office release my tickets to me in advance so that I can have the option to try to resell the tickets to someone else.  From now on no more trying to do something nice for anyone.  Look what's its gotten me.  A little musical sex education.  Anyone interested in buying some tickets?

2 comments:

  1. Well that was a learning experience! They should let you know...you hear Spelling Bee and you think who does spelling bees? Why, children do spelling bees. I will avoid this show if it comes around here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had heard that this was an "adult show". I didn't know it was that bad. Can't they refund your money? I mean, like you said, they weren't exactly honest and up front about the content...

    But then, as I'm looking at the show's website, I'm thinking that maybe that is the worst of it. Could be a great show.

    http://www.spellingbeethemusical.com/

    ReplyDelete