PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A GRAMMAR FREE ZONE!

Monday, October 18, 2010

The E.B.A. - I'm Not Just a Member, I'm the President

There is an evil force that lies in almost every home in the country.  It is addictive.  It is easily accessible.  It is ebay.  Now, I know what you're thinking.  Ebay, how can that be dangerous.  But for those of us who do not enjoy the public but do enjoy finding a bargain, it is a dream come true.  I admit.  I am one of those people.  But I have two other personality flaws that make ebay even more of a hazard - compulsiveness and competitiveness.  When I go out on ebay, it is like a hunt.  I have to find something, anything to bid on.  The one-of-a-kind-ness of an item just adds to the urgency to obtain it.  I will try to come up with any reason to rationalize a bid.  (Of course I need that clock shaped like R2D2.  It'll look great in my bathroom.)  Once the bidding starts, look out.  I have to have it.  I mentally set my price limit, shipping included, and when I reach that I change it to that price without the shipping.  When I reach that number, I usually will set a higher number.  When I reach that number, I set an absolute highest number.  This last number usually sticks until the final minute or two.  Then all bets are off.  Its actually quite a scary process.  I get a high from beating other people's bids.  I love having bids on more than one item.  I will bid on things that I definitely don't need and sometimes don't even want.  I need to start the EBA (Ebay Bidders Anonymous.)  When I am not bidding on something, I feel a sense of emptiness.  A sense of despair.  That is why there is a rule in my house that I am not allowed to go onto ebay.  Absolutely not at all.  It is a self-inflicted rule, but a rule that I must stick by.  The problem is this afternoon I had to do some shopping for my hubby's birthday and I was lured to the dark side yet again.  So far I have resisted the temptation to bid but the pull is there and it is strong as ever.  So when you think of all the dangers that lurk on your computer, don't forget the evil that is ebay.  It can suck you dry mentally, emotionally and, most important, financially.  Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some more bidding . . . I mean shopping . . . I mean . . . hell, I'm playing it safe and logging off.

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog! I love your writing!
    My blog is even with a little english text now...
    http://mettesinblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. During Michael's deployments back when the kids were toddlers, I found myself on eBay a lot - it passed the time while they napped & once they went to bed at night. I actually had to cut myself off the internet for 3-4wks so I could break my habits! LOL

    ReplyDelete