PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A GRAMMAR FREE ZONE!

Thursday, October 7, 2010

I'm a White Polack Bitch But Only If You're One Too

I like to be politically correct.  I like to use corrent terms and address people the way they want to be addressed.  The problem in today's society is that in order to do this, you have to ask each individual person how they want to be addressed.  Each person has their own preferences.  There are people with darker skin that prefer to be called African American.  Then there are some African Americans who will tell you they are not from Africa and prefer to be called black.  I called someone an Indian the other day and drew gasps from those around me until they found out I actually meant Indian . . . from India . . . not Native American.  All of the descriptive adjectives seem to conjure up offense.  And these are only the blatent, visual examples.  It gets even harder when you take into account the adjectives you can't see.  If you know someone who is gay, and they are a woman, then they are a lesbian.  But if they are gay and a man, then they are just plain gay.  A friend of mine told me the other day that a friend of his finds the word gay offensive and prefers the word queer.  What?  And the fact that it is ok to call someone a slur who is within your own group is even more confusing.  Women can call each other bitches but if a guy utters the word it takes on a whole new impact.  If you use one term to describe a group of people of the same religion, race, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation, you are bound to offend someone.  There is no such thing as politically correct anymore.  I'm done trying.  I will address people by name and if I don't know their name, I will simply point at them.  Wait.  Isn't that rude?

2 comments:

  1. i once tried describing myself as an Appalachian-American -- instead of "redneck" -- but the term never seemed to gain traction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tell everyone I'm Mexican, Half-Dutch and Lebonese. You should see the looks I get from people who say, "You're Mexican??" I'm actually quite obviously Irish and English, but native of the United States. But that doesn't necessarily make me Native American. Being of English descent makes me English, but not being born in the United Kingdom, I would be British. But I'm American.

    I'm just me. But you can't call me me, because you're already calling yourself me. And that would be confusing too.

    ReplyDelete