PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A GRAMMAR FREE ZONE!

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Listen To Your Heart But It May Mean No More Red Bull

My sister-in-law recently announced that she and her family are thinking of becoming Mormon.  My initial reaction to this was "Um . . . yeah . . . whatever . . . "  But upon talking to her more, I have realized that this is not a just a whim.  I am glad to see that they are considering this change by looking at it from many angles and not rushing into it.  I actually admire their search for the right religion. So often people just accept what they were raised with without truly looking at their religion and themselves to see if it is a match. I love theology and wrestle with my own theological views on a daily basis.  Its refreshing to see someone trying to sort out what they believe and what they want in their spiritual life as well.  Me being me, I asked a few questions and was happy to hear her answers.  They were well founded and well grounded.  If they do decide to change, they will be following the church's ways completely.  Kudos to them for jumping in fully if they choose that route. I say whatever religion someone wants to be is awesome as long as they're aware of what their religion is all about and what it stands for. Personally unsure of how I feel about a la carte religion, I don't classify myself as catholic any more. For years I've called myself a psuedo-catholic-neuvo-jew.  Go ahead.  Laugh.  Everyone does.  I seriously leaned for some time towards gnosticism and came closest with being an agnostic (not to be confused with atheist.)  Now I prefer the terms spiritual and enlightened over a slot in any standard religion.  There are so many religions out there but they all have one influence that doesn't jive with me - man.  Because of man's free will, his greatest gift from God, anything he has influence over can be contaminated in some way.  Its a risk I don't want to mess with.  My faith is in God not in what man has to say about God.  My belief is simple.  I don't need the middleman.  I go straight to the big guy (or gal) directly.  So take a look at your religion.  Does it fit your beliefs?  Do you agree with their mission, rules, and purpose?  Whatever your religion:  believe in it, practice it, adhere to it and if there is no flavor for you at the religious buffet, that's ok too.  Just remember to search your soul and search it often and when in doubt, use your own personal hotline to God.  We all have one ya know.  It's called your heart.

2 comments:

  1. *Standing and applauding*

    I was raised in many different Christian religions. That is, we never stayed in one church building for very long. My family background is Southern Baptist, but my heart never was. I married an agnostic who grew up Presbyterian. When questioned about becoming Presbyterian, I replied, "It's like being Catholic. Same faith, less guilt." Now that I am older, I find myself becoming a Jewish mother. "Why haven't you called? Are you wearing a sweater? You look too thin. Eat."

    ReplyDelete