PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A GRAMMAR FREE ZONE!

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Say Cheese!

Today is picture day at my daughter's school.  When I was growing up that meant dressing nice, fixing your hair and smiling.  Nowadays, you can get the traditional pose in front of a gray background.  But wait, there are also blue, red, green and purple backgrounds to choose from.  Or if you're more adventurous, you can choose an untraditional pose with a computer generated background.  There are eight choices in that background category.  There's even a ladder that you can use as a prop.  And then there's the quantity.  Of course it is a predetermined fact that the mom will automatically know how many pictures are needed.  Not an easy task.  There are relatives and friends and people I barely know who apparently need a photo of my child.  I list and relist and look at the order form.  Of course there is no package that gives me what I need.  They have one that comes close but I also get photo magnets, keychains, calendars, and a 3D statue in the shape of my child's photo pose.  I don't need all that.  I love my kid but what am I going to do with all that.  I choose a reasonable package and add on about seven extra items.  Done.  And the grand total is near $100.  What?  $100 for school pictures?  When did this happen?  Then I remember, it happens every year.  And every year I vow not to pay that much the next year.  But this year is different.  I will not be paying $100 next year for school pictures.  I will be paying much, much more because my daughter will be getting her senior pictures.  We will pack up her, eight outfits, a color guard flag, a pet bird and whatever else she wants to include.  We will travel to upwards of five locations for the photo shoot.  We will even take out the bank loan it will take to cover the cost.  I can't wait.

1 comment:

  1. I don't recall my senior pictures being shot "on location". We went into a room, took off our tops behind a curtain and had a drape or some sort of boa placed around us, baring our shoulders. Oddly enough, this look would never have been allowed in school. I guess this was the school's way of saying that now we were adults and could display more of our bodies. not that any of us would ever have chosen to wear anything as tacky as that. And the guys all wore tuxedos...

    My daughter's senior pictures are amazing. Apparently you can choose your own photographer now because hers were done by someone she knows, while we had whoever the school contracted. And you know what? She didn't have to bare her shoulders.

    ReplyDelete